Nowadays one can see autorickshaw drivers not adhering to traffic discipline and running with tampered meters and thereby cheating the gullible public. They also do not return the small changes.
Some autos are maintained so badly that they create a loud noise while running on roads. Autos are the lifeline of public transport system and the authorities should rectify this by effective enforcement of laws. Here are some do's and dont's:
• Auto drivers must show hand signals or use appropriate tail lights while stopping or taking a turn.
• They must not stop abruptly in the middle of the road to pick up passengers. They must be made to behave courteously with the passengers.
• Some drivers use adulterated petrol to save money. As a result the autos emit a lot of thick black smoke leading to health hazards.This should be checked.
• Auto drivers should keep their vehicles in good running condition. Emission test certificate should be displayed inside their autos.
• Frequent awareness programmes should be conducted for auto drivers as they play an impor-tant role in serving the public.
— K. Rathna